I’ve had a self imposed blogging break recently, I’m back and hope you’re still around, and if you’ve just come here, welcome! (I’ve got lots of product reviews, unboxing and even a few VERRRY exciting give-aways coming up! Do please follow my account @Itsmelle on Instagram for the most up to date information.)
Anyway, Ive turned 39 today and instead of sticking to a blog post on skincare, Ive had some thoughts on life which I thought I’d share .I’ve been noting a thought a day for the last 39 days, so its kind a 39 thoughts, done over 39 days, to celebrate my 39th birthday.
I’m not a spiritual guru, nor am I a celebrity so why would the world care about what I had to say? Because of reason no 1.
- You have one shot at life, if you want to out your thoughts on paper, follow your passions especially hobbies…do it.
- Love your body. Oh it’s almost a trend now, body positivity- plus size models, disabled models, but I’m talking the average Susan she still sees retouched photos and images all around her. Your body is the only vehicle for your soul. Stop hating on it( been there done that) if you’re unhappy about your size do something about it. But, don’t turn it inward. Weight loss is not the same as winning at life.
- Learn to grab opportunities just outside your comfort zone. You never know where this may lead you.
- Learn how to do one killer smokey eye look, perfect it. It’ll come in handy.
- Sometimes life will hand you lemons. You can make it into a fizzy drink or take a bite of that and complain or option c you could be the one that brings the lemons to the party – there’s always margarita.
- It’s never too late to make friends. Don’t think that the only mates that you are stuck with are the ones from school.
- Travel. Catch a flight by yourself, take a train – don’t feel shy just because you might not have a travel companion.
- If you have a book with you, you are never alone. Carry a book always.
- Taking care of yourself is not vanity. Let no one tell you it is. This having said inner beauty counts too. This last bit is non negotiable.
- Always dress smart, this isn’t because you’re being judged by others, but because in an increasingly spiralling world. You’ll feel that much better pulled together.
- Don’t go on a diet. It’s not worth it.
- Memorise point 11, And always bear it in mind.
- Wear SPF always. It’s non negotiable at any age, but especially yours. (Also make your concealer your best friend.)
- This is the last time I’ll bring up age. Let no one tell you that you “must act your age” this is your roller coaster- you determine what you want to do.
- There’s a difference between doing things for yourself and being selfish. It’s a fine line. I hope you’ll always bear that in mind.
- This having said, you are now in a place where you don’t have to prove anything to anyone.
- Nor do you ever have to chase anyone for their friendship or love. If they don’t have it for you, it was never yours to have.
- Be there. For those who love you.
- Following on from above – love freely and let those in your life know you love them
- Don’t forget to say something nice to everyone in your life.
- Don’t forget to speak up, speak out. But for Pete’s sake be polite about it.
- Your opinion matters. Use it and vote in your local elections
- You enjoy fashion. Don’t apologise for it.
- Always keep lipbalm. In every nook and cranny you can find, in your bag, home, workplace.
- Handcream too, as above.
- Sanitisier too.
- Lift weights. It’s good for you, and you love it. Yes… that means dreaded early morning wakeups.
- There will be people who don’t get why you don’t want to “grow old” ignore them. As you’d ignored those bullies on the playground all those years ago. Trying to change their minds is futile.
- People will assume that you must be unilaterally minded so hence cannot be a feminist whilst wearing a red lipstick. They cannot understand that we can do/ be both. Ignore them too.
- Throw parties, I know you struggle with the hassle of pre and post party prep- but you’ve always loved playing host. Do more of what you enjoy.
- Write poetry, share them. Who cares if they are good/ bad. That’s subjective; but you’ll have fun?
- Don’t forget to have fun and seek adventure. Dance when your hear music you like. Who knows? You might start a flash mob.
- You love wearing heels, who cares if you touch the ceiling…wear them.
- Pay no mind to intellectual snobs, this is an odd one – but at 39, you don’t need to answer to anyone about your reading or life choices, this having said…your kids are watching :0
- Laugh…deep, belly ones. Your time is finite, pay mind to those who matter. The rest are white noise.
- You enjoy a filthy joke, don’t apologise for it, (refer to point 1)
- Be a role model to your kids by being your most authentic self. They will suss out fakery.
- Sometimes good enough has to be enough
- Wear red lipstick, when and where you can… There isn’t an occasion where a red lip would look out of place. (Perhaps a funeral, and the gym, but that’s about it!)
And one for the year ahead…
Read the above, memorise them and tear up the list. Make up the rules as you go along. Life doesn’t come with a rule book… so why should you?
Note of disclaimer: All opinions are my own, I have no affiliations with any company, there are no affiliate links on this post and all products are purchased with my own money. If this was to change at any point, I will disclose this and it will not affect my opinion. Please check ingredients list of all products that you buy, in case you have allergies to any of the products that I have mentioned. Please do not copy, publish any photos on this blog or contents in its entirety or otherwise without my express permission.